Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /www/htdocs/njssjfu/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /www/htdocs/njssjfu/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /www/htdocs/njssjfu/includes/bbcode.php on line 379
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3830: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3831: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3832: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
Action Replay Central :: View topic - To Hell And Back

Action Replay Central

Official Forums of ARCentral.net
IRC:cookie.sorcery.net #ARCentral
* FAQ   * Rules   * Search   * Members   * The Staff
* Login
It is currently Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:15 am

To Hell And Back

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 6:57 pm   Post subject: To Hell And Back
Shadow Hacker

Well I just experienced a nightmarish hell that I wish never to go back to.

I just got my new Logitech K270 keyboard in today, and I love it. I don't like that sleep mode hotkey being right next to the calculator hothey though (which I will use, a lot), so I figured I'd reprogram it. Well, I went and downloaded the SetPoint program from Logitech.com (allows customization of Logitech mouse buttons, and keyboard hotkeys), and the shit hit the fan.

The moment I tried to use the program, it started going crazy, and rapidly switching between the menus in it. I decided to close it and try running it again. This time it didn't go crazy. Instead, it went slow. Really slow. But it wasn't just the program, it was my whole computer. Something was sucking up ALL resources and my CPU Usage froze at 100%. I couldn't do anything. I tried to restart several times but couldn't get the damn start menu to pop up. Even my cursor wouldn't respond half the time. It was like my XP all over again, but several times worse. And that coming from THIS computer, this awesome fucking computer that has given me no problems and is never slow.

Eventually I just did a hard power off, and restarted. It came up just fine, took me to the login screen as per usual, but then, nothing. At all. Just a black screen, and my cursor. No menu bar, no desktop icons, nothing. I ctrl+alt+del for task manager, and lo and behold, my CPU Usage is locked on 100% once again. WTF?! So I decide to do a system restore. Only problem is, how? I don't know the exe name, so I can't start it from task manager. Task manager wasn't even capable of browsing files. I tried, and it locked up.

So I decided fuck it, hard turned off my computer once again, and tried to reboot in safe mode. F8 didn't work. I tried again. F2 didn't work. How the fuck do I boot this thing in safe mode? I tried one more time, pressing the esc key instead (displays at bottom left of screen when booting up, says it takes me to a boot menu, I figured it was the dos like menu I saw on older computers, with bios settings and shit). Finally, an option to boot in safe mode. System restored.

Thank GOD, it worked. For a moment there, I thought I had bricked my computer, which would really, really, REALLY suck on a massive level.

So a word of advice: If you have wireless Logitech mice and keyboards that use the unison nano receiver, STAY THE FUCK AWAY FROM SETPOINT!!!!

8-bit Link pwns you all!
Top Profile E-mail WWW
PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:10 pm   Post subject: Re: To Hell And Back
Banned

My mouse and keyboard both came with Set Point. Never had any issues.
PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:49 pm   Post subject: Re: To Hell And Back
Shadow Hacker

I've been reading about a lot of issues people are having with it. Some say its causing fps lag on their games, some say it breaks their internal laptop keyboard when they uninstall it, and a lot say that it causes their CPU Usage to skyrocket (though not as bad as mine did).

8-bit Link pwns you all!
Top Profile E-mail WWW
PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:18 am   Post subject: Re: To Hell And Back
Iron Member

Location: Hey look, I changed my location. Unfortunately, I didn't change it to anything clever or funny.
rstrui.exe

And that's way better that when I updated windows about two years ago. The update failed and corrupted system32. I had to reformat.
PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:56 am   Post subject: Re: To Hell And Back
Shadow Hacker

I'm not 100% certain it was setpoint any more. It just happened to me again, twice. About 30 minutes after turning on my computer, then again about 10 minutes after using a system restore to fix it the first time. What the hell is going on here. >_<!

8-bit Link pwns you all!
Top Profile E-mail WWW
PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:05 pm   Post subject: Re: To Hell And Back
Silver Member

lol

https://www.freedrweb.com/download+cureit+free/?lng=en
Try running that. ^
Top Profile WWW
PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 7:21 pm   Post subject: Re: To Hell And Back
Shadow Hacker

TL;DR: Windows Update killed my computer, and System Recovery brought it back to new-born life.

What Happened: Yesterday I couldn't get Windows Media Center to work. It just kept saying "Windows Media Player has stopped working." every time I tried to open it. It also did the same thing to HP Wireless Assistant. So I tried doing yet another system restore, which fixed the issue. After which I tried to install updates and ran Windows Update. It paused on the 5th download for well over an hour (Windows 7 Service Pack 1..... don't I have that? :S) so I tried to stop the process. Instead of stopping, it decided to lock up and consume all my computers resources. I couldn't stop it, and I couldn't restart my computer, so I did a hard reset.

While booting back up, it decided to configure my computer as if the download had completed (which it did not), so it fucked everything up. The 100% CPU Usage, slow as shit, desktop and taskbar not loading crap returned once more. So I decided, system restore, AGAIN, but this time I could not. Windows Update not only fucked up my system files, it deleted all my old restores points in favor of the one it just made, AFTER fucking up my computer. So yeah, I felt like a part of me just died and didn't know what the hell I was going to do.

LUCKILY I was able to back up all my files and restore my computer back to factory defaults. So it's now as if I just got this computer for the first time, again. I forgot to backup my custom FireFox buttons, bookmarks and trusted sites though, and some of my tweaks I'm going to have to re-research.

8-bit Link pwns you all!
Top Profile E-mail WWW
PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 7:36 pm   Post subject: Re: To Hell And Back
Iron Member

Location: Hey look, I changed my location. Unfortunately, I didn't change it to anything clever or funny.
Ok, now it's fairly similar to what happened about two years ago when I updated windows and the update failed.
PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 8:37 pm   Post subject: Re: To Hell And Back
Banned

One time my battery died while my laptop was shutting down and I ended up with a corrupt user account. Fun times.
PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 10:47 pm   Post subject: Re: To Hell And Back
Shadow Hacker

I try never to run off battery power, and always keep it plugged in. I'll sometimes move it over to my bed for a little while when Sarge is over, but that's about it.

8-bit Link pwns you all!
Top Profile E-mail WWW