Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /www/htdocs/njssjfu/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /www/htdocs/njssjfu/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /www/htdocs/njssjfu/includes/bbcode.php on line 379

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /www/htdocs/njssjfu/includes/bbcode.php on line 112

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /www/htdocs/njssjfu/includes/bbcode.php on line 112
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3830: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3831: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3832: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
Action Replay Central :: View topic - New Background

Action Replay Central

Official Forums of ARCentral.net
IRC:cookie.sorcery.net #ARCentral
* FAQ   * Rules   * Search   * Members   * The Staff
* Login
It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:06 pm

New Background

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:35 am   Post subject: New Background
Shadow Hacker

I'm about to redo my site. How does this look for the new background? http://arcentral.net/userfiles/linkmaster/newbg.htm
I suck at making graphics. It's the best I could do. Using the cloud filter is the closest I can get to what I had in mind, thought it's still not what I was going for...

Anyway, what do you two think of it?

Note: It'll only be visible on the left and right sides of the page.

8-bit Link pwns you all!
Top Profile E-mail WWW
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:35 am   Post subject: Re: New Background
Silver Member

Link Master wrote:
I'm about to redo my site. How does this look for the new background? http://arcentral.net/userfiles/linkmaster/newbg.htm
I suck at making graphics. It's the best I could do. Using the cloud filter is the closest I can get to what I had in mind, thought it's still not what I was going for...

Anyway, what do you two think of it?

Note: It'll only be visible on the left and right sides of the page.

IMO, colors are a bit strong for being meant as a background. (even if it's just on the sides, should be muted considerably next to the site's main content)
Top Profile WWW
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:36 am   Post subject: Re: New Background
Shadow Hacker

Eh, probably. Center of the page is going to be mostly black and white though. Maybe just make it a little lighter?

Oh, the binary actually spells something btw. :P
STALFELZ

Edit: How about now? http://arcentral.net/userfiles/linkmaster/newbg2.htm

8-bit Link pwns you all!
Top Profile E-mail WWW
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:36 am   Post subject: Re: New Background
Shadow Hacker

http://linkmaster.shockv2.com/testindex.htm

What do you guys think so far? Does it look alright? I mean as far as simplistic crap goes, is it good?

Edit: Oh, I've noticed something odd about my site recently. If the link says restricted access or whatever, just go to the url bar and hit enter/click go and it'll work from that point on when linked from this site. I think I need to modify my .htaccess. =/

Also, using the darker image at the top like that is something I just thought of.

8-bit Link pwns you all!
Top Profile E-mail WWW
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:37 am   Post subject: Re: New Background
Banned

The header text looks out of place as far as colors go. Otherwise it looks good.
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:38 am   Post subject: Re: New Background
Shadow Hacker

Old: http://linkmaster.shockv2.com/testindexold.htm
New: http://linkmaster.shockv2.com/testindex.htm

Better? :D

Edit: Awesome. I was having some issues displaying things correctly in IE and throwing in a doctype fixed it. :D
Totally using it from now on. ^_^

8-bit Link pwns you all!
Top Profile E-mail WWW
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:38 am   Post subject: Re: New Background
Silver Member

Link Master wrote:
Old: http://linkmaster.shockv2.com/testindexold.htm
New: http://linkmaster.shockv2.com/testindex.htm

Better? :D

Edit: Awesome. I was having some issues displaying things correctly in IE and throwing in a doctype fixed it. :D
Totally using it from now on. ^_^

Looks alright.

Hover color on the links is too bright for a white bg.

Try a whiteish drop shadow on your banner image instead of the dark purple. That text just doesn't come off the bg enough. IMO
Top Profile WWW
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:39 am   Post subject: Re: New Background
Shadow Hacker

I'm a little surprised you could tell what color it is (it's actually indigo though, but close enough).
I was actually already planning on changing the color, but not to white, although now that you mention it, I'll give it a try and see how it looks. You're right though, it does blend with the background too much (as we talked about on WLM and as Yadao already pointed out :P).

I'm still playing with the link colors. Not only is it too bright when hovering, but it's too dark otherwise. I did change other colors though. I changed the drop shadow and border colors on the page from indigo to royal blue, and it looks a whole lot better now as far as those colors go. I've been using the same 3 colors to make everything—royal blue, sky blue and indigo—and I've been trying to stick to just those 3, but it looks like I'm going to have to broaden the spectrum.

Edit: You do like the new background at the top though, right?

8-bit Link pwns you all!
Top Profile E-mail WWW
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:39 am   Post subject: Re: New Background
Silver Member

Yep. Let's keep this convo in the threads though. PMs are a pain in the arse
Top Profile WWW
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:42 am   Post subject: Re: New Background
Shadow Hacker

Sure. I've moved all the PMs to this topic. :P

Anyway, I tried using a white drop shadow and it didn't work out at all. I then messed around with some other settings and found a 1 pixel outer bevel to work quite well. Here's the result: http://linkmaster.shockv2.com/testindex.htm

How's it look now?

8-bit Link pwns you all!
Top Profile E-mail WWW
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:58 am   Post subject: Re: New Background
Silver Member

wtf I didn't know you could move PMs into a thread. o.O

Anyway, I don't like it.. It makes the text look like it's slanted up and to the right..
Kind of hard to look at...

And why not just "Link Master" for the text? Everyone knows it's a website when they're there.. =P
Top Profile WWW
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 6:43 pm   Post subject: Re: New Background
Shadow Hacker

You can't, I actually posted them all then changed the poster for you and Yadao. :P

Really? It doesn't look that way to me at all. o.O
I actually kinda like it the way it looks now, but I'll try other options before I settle on this.

Because Link Master would sound stupid as the name of a site. lol
Plus I'm used to calling it LMS.

8-bit Link pwns you all!
Top Profile E-mail WWW
PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 5:41 pm   Post subject: Re: New Background
Shadow Hacker

http://linkmaster.shockv2.com/testindex.htm

Link color fixed, design is almost complete. Also, it no longer uses tables to align content within the page.
The only thing left that I'd like to do is have H1 show the background that's behind the white box behind it, instead of setting it's own background. Pretty sure it can't be done though, or at least I haven't found a way to. For it to work, you'd not only have to make H1's background transparent, but also have it make the background of it's parent element transparent as well, but only in the space behind the H1.

I'll probably just make a new image for it though, with the top slightly dark, similar to the top of the page.

8-bit Link pwns you all!
Top Profile E-mail WWW
PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:22 pm   Post subject: Re: New Background
Shadow Hacker

New image made, and design more or less complete. What do you guys think of the finished product?
I agree that the header image still blends too much with the background, but it can be read, so I'm not too worried about it.

Edit: http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http% ... tindex.htm

8-bit Link pwns you all!
Top Profile E-mail WWW
PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 12:46 am   Post subject: Re: New Background
Master Poster (800-999)

I'd create a little more contrast between the header image and the background. I dunno, maybe you could make one or the other darker, preferably the background if you go that route.
Top Profile
PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 3:00 am   Post subject: Re: New Background
Silver Member

Nice touch to the headers- looks neat now
Top Profile WWW
PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 4:55 pm   Post subject: Re: New Background
Shadow Hacker

Thank you. :)

I'll probably try to work some more on the banner, but for now I'm going to start on the php for the contact page. That and play more OOT 3D. But which one first... :-k

8-bit Link pwns you all!
Top Profile E-mail WWW
PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 8:13 pm   Post subject: Re: New Background
Shadow Hacker

Which way do you guys think looks better? Extra spacing between bottom of paragraph and top of heading, or normal spacing?

Extra: http://linkmaster.shockv2.com/testindex.htm
Normal: http://linkmaster.shockv2.com/testindex2.htm

8-bit Link pwns you all!
Top Profile E-mail WWW
PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 8:38 pm   Post subject: Re: New Background
Silver Member

With spacing
Top Profile WWW
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 4:10 pm   Post subject: Re: New Background
Shadow Hacker

My new game list: http://linkmaster.shockv2.com/gamelist.php
Old one: http://arcentral.net/userfiles/linkmast ... melist.htm

What do you think? Much better than the old one right?

8-bit Link pwns you all!
Top Profile E-mail WWW