Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /www/htdocs/njssjfu/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /www/htdocs/njssjfu/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /www/htdocs/njssjfu/includes/bbcode.php on line 379

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /www/htdocs/njssjfu/includes/bbcode.php on line 379

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /www/htdocs/njssjfu/includes/bbcode.php on line 112

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /www/htdocs/njssjfu/includes/bbcode.php on line 112
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3830: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3831: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3832: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
Action Replay Central :: View topic - Quick Question

Action Replay Central

Official Forums of ARCentral.net
IRC:cookie.sorcery.net #ARCentral
* FAQ   * Rules   * Search   * Members   * The Staff
* Login
It is currently Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:37 am

Quick Question

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 11:03 am   Post subject: Quick Question
Shadow Hacker

Can a wireless router connect to another wireless router?

We have a wireless router that connects my desktop to the internet and a single network cable from it running into my room that I'm now using for my 360, but I'd like to have both those plus my laptop connected directly to the router (for more reliable internet and computer networking). The obvious solution to that would be another router, but I'd also like it to be a wireless router as well (infact, the exact same one) for a much better signal strength for other devices in my room that still require a wireless connection (DS, Wii, and probably Sarge's new laptop/first computer when he brings it over).

Anyway, will this work? And if so, does it need to have a different Local IP Address from the other router? (Afterall, how would it know which router to go to when you need to access it to change settings?)

8-bit Link pwns you all!
Top Profile E-mail WWW
PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 11:26 am   Post subject: Re: Quick Question
ಠ_ಠ (☞゚∀゚)☞

Yes, I infact have a modem, connected to a router, connected to another router, connected to a wireless router.

The routers can have the same address for their config, but you will only be able to change settings on the router that you are connected to.

Call me Skype Me™! Mesasge me on Steam™! IM Me

Top Profile E-mail WWW
PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:01 pm   Post subject: Re: Quick Question
Shadow Hacker

Awesome, thanks. :)

Edit: What about port forwarding? Do I only have to forward ports on the router I'm connected to, or all of them?

8-bit Link pwns you all!
Top Profile E-mail WWW
PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 1:14 pm   Post subject: Re: Quick Question
ಠ_ಠ (☞゚∀゚)☞

Im gonna have to describe what My setup is like, and how it was done, you should get how to do it from there.

Modem > Router 1 > Router 2 > Wireless Router
192.168.1.100 > 192.168.1.1 > 192.168.2.1 > 192.168.2.2
I'm connected to Router 2.

I logged into Router 1 and set DMZ Mode to 192.168.2.1

DMZ allows all data to go to router 2, so there is no lag because the firewall is off, and all ports are forwarded.

Make sure UPnP is on though.

Top Profile E-mail WWW
PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 6:09 pm   Post subject: Re: Quick Question
Shadow Hacker

Wait, what? No, I'm just asking if I have to forward ports on both routers, or just the one that'll be in my room (the one they're connected to).

Port 7755 for Red Faction for instance. Do I have to continue forwarding it on the current router and the new one, or just the new one?

Also, didn't you say the routers could use the same address?

Edit: Just for reference, this is the router we have, and this is the router I'm going to get.

8-bit Link pwns you all!
Top Profile E-mail WWW
PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 8:12 pm   Post subject: Re: Quick Question
ಠ_ಠ (☞゚∀゚)☞

If, on the first router (the one directly connected to the ISP), you set the 2nd router as DMZ, you wont need to port forward.

Top Profile E-mail WWW
PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 8:21 pm   Post subject: Re: Quick Question
Shadow Hacker

At all?

Edit:
my router wrote:
The DMZ hosting feature allows one local user to be exposed to the Internet for use of a special-purpose service such as Internet gaming or videoconferencing. DMZ hosting forwards all the ports at the same time to one PC. The Port Forwarding feature is more secure because it only opens the ports you want to have opened, while DMZ hosting opens all the ports of one computer, exposing the computer so the Internet can see it.

Any PC whose port is being forwarded must have its DHCP client function disabled and should have a new static IP address assigned to it because its IP address may change when using the DHCP function.

Ah, so that's what it is. I could be doing that right now. I already set a static IP ages ago because I got tired of having to reforward the ports every time my address changed.

8-bit Link pwns you all!
Top Profile E-mail WWW
PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 9:18 am   Post subject: Re: Quick Question
ಠ_ಠ (☞゚∀゚)☞

As long as you have a firewall on your PC, or it's an unhackable device (Such as a 360) its completely secure.

Top Profile E-mail WWW
PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 11:36 am   Post subject: Re: Quick Question
Shadow Hacker

I think I have Windows Firewall? Anyway, back to port forwarding.
I've been asking if I have to forward ports on both routers or just one, and you haven't really answered that, but I'm going to take a guess here.

The answer is both routers, and setting router 2 as dmz on router 1 allows me to forward ports on router 2 only, and not have to mess with router 1 ever. Is that corrent?

Also, you did say both routers can use the same address didn't you? So can it be:
Modem > Router 1 > Router 2
192.168.1.100 > 192.168.1.1 > 192.168.1.1

Or does router 2 have to be something different?

8-bit Link pwns you all!
Top Profile E-mail WWW
PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 3:43 pm   Post subject: Re: Quick Question
ಠ_ಠ (☞゚∀゚)☞

Scenario 1
On router 1: Set router 2 as DMZ
On router 2: Port forward to your PC

Scenario 2
On router 1: Set router 2 as DMZ
On router 2: Set your PC as DMZ
(make sure you have firewall)

Router 1 and router 2 can't really have the same IP, since you will be unable to access them both.

Top Profile E-mail WWW
PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 6:38 pm   Post subject: Re: Quick Question
Shadow Hacker

That's what I thought. Thanks for all your help. :)

I'll probably get the router next check (2 weeks). This check I'm finishing my reservation for Halo 3: ODST and getting [Prototype].

8-bit Link pwns you all!
Top Profile E-mail WWW
PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 1:14 am   Post subject: Re: Quick Question
Shadow Hacker

Okay, I bought the router, and I connected it directly to the modem to get it setup, then changed it's IP to 192.168.2.1. Connected directly to the modem it works just fine, but connected to the other router, nothing works. (By nothing, I mean it can't connect to the internet, etc.)

What else am I supposed to do in order for this to work?

Edit: I beleive I got it working. All I had to do was use a different subnet mask on router 2 (I set it to 255.255.255.128). I is happy! :mrgreen:

Edit:
The Jambo wrote:
The routers can have the same address for their config, but you will only be able to change settings on the router that you are connected to.

I'm only connected to my router ATM and I can access both of them. :P

I can't seem to set my router as DMZ on the old router though. It only allows me to specify an IP within it's own range (192.168.1.***). Does Linksys [default] router software not allow this?

8-bit Link pwns you all!
Top Profile E-mail WWW
PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:57 pm   Post subject: Re: Quick Question
Shadow Hacker

I tried setting the IP of my router to 192.168.1.2 so that I could set it as DMZ on the old router, but when I did, it wouldn't communicate with the other router. Will this not work? Looking at your setup it should...

8-bit Link pwns you all!
Top Profile E-mail WWW
PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 3:35 am   Post subject: Re: Quick Question
ಠ_ಠ (☞゚∀゚)☞

:-S I cant see why it wouldnt work, assuming what I imagine your setup is, is right.

Just keep messing with it till it works :-P

Top Profile E-mail WWW
PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 1:00 pm   Post subject: Re: Quick Question
Shadow Hacker

Modem > Old Router > My Router
192.168.100.1 > 192.168.1.1 > 192.168.2.1 (I want it to be 192.168.1.2)
............. 255.255.255.0 > 255.255.255.180

8-bit Link pwns you all!
Top Profile E-mail WWW
PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 2:23 pm   Post subject: Re: Quick Question
Shadow Hacker

I figured it out. I needed to connect my router to the old router through one of the 4 LAN ports, not the one labeled internet (duh). Then of course it needed to use the same subnet mask as the other router, and DHCP should be disabled. Then for my static IP I needed to set the old router as the default gateway, not my router (otherwise I wouldn't be able to connect to the modem/internet).

And because of the way the static IP has to be setup, I can connect to either router wirelessly with it, without having to change any settings. :)

8-bit Link pwns you all!
Top Profile E-mail WWW