Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /www/htdocs/njssjfu/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /www/htdocs/njssjfu/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /www/htdocs/njssjfu/includes/bbcode.php on line 379

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /www/htdocs/njssjfu/includes/bbcode.php on line 112

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /www/htdocs/njssjfu/includes/bbcode.php on line 112

[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3830: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3831: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3832: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
Action Replay Central :: View topic - Photoshop Help

Action Replay Central

Official Forums of ARCentral.net
IRC:cookie.sorcery.net #ARCentral
* FAQ   * Rules   * Search   * Members   * The Staff
* Login
It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:01 pm

Photoshop Help

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 1:00 pm   Post subject: Photoshop Help
Poeta's Protector

Okay, calling all artists at ARC. I'm horrible at art and even worse at Photoshop. I've just begun to delve into how to use it. Here's an example of what I did with one of my more recent icons. Let me know if I'm on the right track with this stuff.

First I screencapped my DVDs of Full Metal Panic and picked out a cap I liked:

I needed to crop it down to 100x100 because I use my icons for livejournal and they only allow 100x100, so that's what they all are by default for me.

So I used Canvas Size to cut the image down to 359x359 square. Then used Image Size to shirink it down to 100x100:

That cop car in the background is so small but like I said I only use 100x100 icons. So I kept thinking, how do I make that stand out without doing something overly dramatic? So I decided to remove the color from the sky and surrounding area except Sousuke and Kaname (two on the bike) and the cop car. I used Magic Wand to select the area I wanted to the desaturate.

It's a little dark, so I like to use Curves to brighten it a bit.

Now I wanted to add some texture to it without drowning it, like I always say. I see too much artwork where I feel like I have to squint just to make out what's going on it. But I do want some texture, so I use this to overlay it with Soft Light because that looked the best to me:

And this is how it looks:

Now, in my mind I can see the words 'Partners in Crime' because in the show they were running from the police because they were riding double. :P So, I know I don't have any brushes that say that, so I decide to do the words myself, which I mostly wind up doing anyway.

So, after a little softening of the edges and checking for little mistakes, I save it as a PNG file.

How'd I do?

Last edited by Fan4Lost on Thu Oct 25, 2007 8:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Top Profile
PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 8:42 pm   Post subject:
Transcendental Guitarist

Location: At the bottom of the bottomless pit. Someone lower a rope.
The photoshop work looks good. I would suggest doing the resizing as the last step, though.

I'm batman.
Top Profile E-mail WWW YIM
PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 8:59 pm   Post subject:
Giga Poster (500-650)

Nice work. I think you did the right thing using text instead of brushes.
PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 11:07 pm   Post subject:
Poeta's Protector

cptnoremac wrote:
The photoshop work looks good. I would suggest doing the resizing as the last step, though.

You know what, you're right. It might help being more precise with the Magic Wand. Thanks cpt. ^_^

rwnd wrote:
Nice work. I think you did the right thing using text instead of brushes.

I'm so horrible sometimes with text. I see what I want to say but when I put it down it looks like crap. But yeah, I prefer to use my own text. ^_^ Thanks!

Lemme ask you this...you lay the text, but no matter what color you use you just can't see all the letters because of the background. How do you deal with that? I have tried several blending options but sometimes it just doesn't work with evereything. :?
Top Profile
PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 11:42 pm   Post subject:
Shadow Hacker

Moved to Web Design/Graphics/Programming & PC Help

8-bit Link pwns you all!
Top Profile E-mail WWW
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 12:23 am   Post subject:
Poeta's Protector

How do you make a line curl? I tried the stupid pen tool and it hates me. Swirl doesn't work, and shear doesn't curl it enough. Is there a secret way to do this I don't know about it?
Top Profile
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 12:30 am   Post subject:
Giga Poster (500-650)

Use the free form pen tool, if you find it's not perfect you can drag points of the line until your happy with it.
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 10:09 am   Post subject:
Poeta's Protector

[s]Is that the only way? because the pen is evil. :([/s]

Nevermind, I figured it out. ^__^ Photoshop doesn;t do what I want. I needed to get Illustrator which I did and now I can make swirly stuff. Yay!
Top Profile